Thursday 17 June 2010

PROVENCE - Saint-Rémy-de-Provence

Think of a window, with sun-bleached shutters that must have once been bright blue, plastered walls in faded Mediterranean hues and plants tumbling out of the obligatory window boxes, and you’ve got Saint-Rémy-de-Provence





I suspect that Saint-Rémy-de-Provence is the Provençal town of most people’s imagination and we were determined to fit in a quick visit, on the way back to the port. Of course what we hadn’t taken into account is that even in Spring, the world and his wife want to do the same thing, so the parking is a nightmare!



The old centre of the town is mostly pedestrianised which is great (tourists – myself included – don’t tend to take account of road users when they are exploring!). We eventually found a free spot opposite the bakery, and headed into the narrow cobbled streets.





We managed to buy yet more soap – it turned into a bit of a running joke – as well as a few postcards for my collection. I rarely send them because postcards can be such miniature works of art, but I am full of good intentions when I buy them!



This was another town where we could have spent a fortune on all the local produce, from the wines of the Rhone to the jams, candied fruits, mustards and pates. I was even tempted by the coffee but slightly worried that the customs men would think I was smuggling something rather more unsavoury if I arrived with 15 packets in the boot!



What was nice about Saint-Rémy was that every turn of a corner seemed to reveal something pretty; an unusual pavement display, a charming old house or even a random water fountain attached to the wall of a house.





Everywhere we wandered, the narrow cobbled streets were filled with boutiques and interesting little shops selling all manner of lavender themed souvenirs, tablecloths covered with olives and sunflowers, artisanal pottery and of course the singing cicadas which seem to be the main export of the region.



Time was getting on, and I can’t say that cobbles do much for my feet when I am wearing my trusty flipflops, so we decided to head back towards the car and find a café on the way. Fortunately, they also sold ice cream…

No comments:

Post a Comment