Wednesday 21 April 2010

THE ALPS - Courchevel 1650 & 1850

A slight misunderstanding over numbers meant that we started the morning bright and early at Courchevel 1650 instead of Courchevel 1850, but I was pleased because it meant that we got to drive further up the snow capped mountain.



I was almost beside myself when I spotted a small frozen late in the middle of the Forêt de Saint Bon, but little did I know what delights were to come. Of course, it would be easier if the villages didn’t have the same name, but there you go!



Luckily we’d arrived early for our meeting so as the temperature was -4 degrees despite the sunshine(!) we decided to thaw ourselves out with a cup of hot choccie at the local café and check out the ski instructors.



I didn’t think I’d ever been so cold, but then we arrived at Courchevel 1850 – 200m higher – and I decided that no matter how unflattering they are, next time I will put my thermal long johns on underneath my trousers.



Unlike La Tania which is a purpose built resort and really feels like it, I was completely enchanted by the ornate timber buildings of Courchevel which to me was a real ski resort rather than a town you can ski from or just a modern ski station.



I stood for ages watching the cable cars making their way up the mountains and considering it is mi-April, I was amazed by the amount of snow there was even on the low pistes and how many people were in resort.



On the way back to the car we spotted a grey granite bell tower clinging to the rock, so we decided to hack our way through the pine trees ‘Indiana Jones’ style to get a photo from the other side so that the sun was in the right position


Of course, I paid little attention to where I was walking and what looked like snow covered grass soon revealed itself to be a big snow covered hole. Fortunately given the freezing temperatures, the snow was solid enough that I didn’t come to any real harm. Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment