Wednesday 21 April 2010

THE ALPS - Morzine

After being stuck behind a logging truck for the best part of 10km and then attempting a daring overtaking manoeuvre on the mountains roads after watching him nearly knock over a signpost, I was glad we’d managed to make it to Morzine at all!



Being the slick travel industry professionals that I am, I tend to assume that I’ll be able to find anywhere without proper directions, so it was a bit of a shock to find that Morzine is in fact much larger than the other resorts we’d visited, and covers a huge area.



Luckily we spotted a fit looking ESF ski instructor in his distinctive red uniform so it seemed a good excuse to call him over and ask for directions J. We finally managed to find the Hotel le Petit Dru where we had our first meeting of the morning, and the lovely owner offered us a coffee which was great as we’d missed out on a café breakfast thanks to the lumber truck.



We explored on foot and soon found ourselves in the Patisserie for the tarts for our picnic lunch, but I wasn’t as thrilled by the selection as I had been in Saint Gervais. We settled on a Myrtille soufflé and a Myrtille crumble – can you see a theme here??

After a few false starts and trips round the one way system on the centre (I now know the back streets like the back of my hand!), we were off again for lunch at the little Chappelle des Mouilles.



Luckily we are both comfortable with ‘the great outdoors’ as there are hardly any public loos anywhere, but I did get a little shock when I thought there was a Marmotte (Gopher) sitting on top of the car. Fortunately on closer inspection it turned out to be a suede handbag. Really must get my eyes tested again...



While I was waiting, I noticed that there was a hole right through the trunk of the tree opposite the chapel, so as I couldn’t see in (another reason to call the optician), I thought I’d take a photo. When we got back in the car, we compared photos and realised that we’d both taken picture of the hole in the trunk, but it seems they weren’t the same holes. I think maybe we were on a sugar high from the tarts!!

No comments:

Post a Comment