Sunday 28 June 2009

DORDOGNE - Château de Commarque

For some reason, this didn’t actually appeal that much at first glance, but I’m glad I made the effort. Although clearly marked on the map, it is actually tucked away down a tiny road and took me a while to find. The car park is about 600m from the start of the visit, so be prepared. There are also LOTS of steps here so not one for the tiny tots or anyone with any kind of walking difficulties.



The de Commarque is actually in ruins, which I hadn’t fully appreciated, so the best views are from the grounds below, or from the top looking out or down as the rooms themselves don’t really have a lot to offer.


There is an interesting chess board cut into the stone in the main building and I could just imagine the hours whiled away sitting here contemplating the next move. There are also some really lovely views of the ochre coloured château on the hillside opposite.


By the time I’d climbed almost to the top (I chickened out of going right up to the top terrace), the sun was out and it was really hot. I was almost dehydrated by the time I got down to ground level and still had 600m walk back up to the car park so it was lucky that the little ticket hut sold cold drinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment