Sunday 28 June 2009

DORDOGNE - Forêt des Singes

I came across a leaflet for the Forêt des Singes when I was in Les Eyzies-de-Tayac earlier in the week, and as I’d planned to visit Rocamadour anyway, I couldn’t help but be tempted!


Literally translated as Forest of the Monkeys, it does exactly what it says on the tin. The grounds cover about 20 hectares and are home to 130 Barbary Macaque monkeys who live here in total freedom. One of the really great things is that when you arrive, they give each visitor a handful of special popcorn so you can feed the monkeys. You’re not allowed to leave the paths or touch them, but they approach you and one was even happy to do a bit of sunbathing on the bench next to me!


There are guides all through the park to give information and they do regular feeding displays and educational talks for the kids that I found fascinating too! Along the route are information panels with multiple choice questions to give you a bit more of an insight. The park was much busier than I’d expected, and there was a wide range of visitors, and young and old seemed equally excited to be able to hand feed the monkeys.



As well as woodland paths and open spaces where the monkeys gather and the guides give demonstrations, there is also a beautiful panorama over the surrounding countryside and château opposite, a ‘cave’ where you can walk through and see the waterfall from behind, and a gift shop/café.


However, the highlight for me was watching the baby Macaques exploring their surroundings and mums keeping a tight grip on one leg so they don’t venture too far. It is absolutely incredible how human their behaviour is. It’s a shame my camera batteries died before I’d finished the visit otherwise I could have taken hundreds of cute photos here.

No comments:

Post a Comment