Sunday 28 June 2009

DORDOGNE - Monpazier

I’ve never heard of Monpazier so it wasn’t a place I’d planned to visit, but on the advice of my host at La Boiseraie, I decided to take a look, and it turned out to be one of the highlights of my trip!



The main parking area is outside the main gates of the Bastide, and it’s free – hurrah! I could see through the arched gateway that more treasures lay beyond.



On this side, the town is accessible through two gates, each with a pedestrianised street linking them to the central square. These wide streets are lined with artisanal shops, and intriguing boutiques that I could have spent hours exploring.


The central square is absolutely stunning. Each building is essentially on stilts, with the ‘feet’ linked by beautiful arches. The space below the buildings is covered above but completely open on all sides so these days they are home to souvenir shops, restaurants, the tourist office and even a small gallery.


The restaurants take full advantage of the beautiful setting and what a fabulous place to while away the afternoon with a sport of people watching. Ah, bliss!

No comments:

Post a Comment