Sunday 28 June 2009

DORDOGNE - Moulin de la Tour

It was while trying to find the Moulin de la Tour that I came to the conclusion that a GPS system should only ever be used in conjunction with a decent road map, and a healthy dash of common sense! When I finally arrived, I was expecting to see an ancient stone mill so I was a bit surprised by the modern exterior, but I only had to step into the shop to see that I wouldn’t be disappointed.



As well as free tasting of the oils, aperitifs, jams and all sorts of other produce made from walnuts, hazelnuts and almonds, the mill offers guided tours on selected days during the year – be sure to check in advance so you don’t miss out. I was slightly disconcerted to find Eric Pollard from Emmerdale on our tour, but after close scrutiny during which the poor French tourist must have thought I was either coming on to him or slightly deranged, I concluded that he was merely a doppelganger.



The Mill is actually quite small, but the guided tour is so fascinating and the miller is obviously so passionate about his work that you can’t help but be enthralled. They explain all the workings of the mill and show you each stage right from where the nuts are crushed into a paste, right through to seeing the oil at the end.


They explain how the cooking process can alter the taste, texture and quality of the oil and consequently its taste so is closely monitored. The actual press to turn the paste into oil can exert a pressure of 20 tonnes and is operated solely by the pressure of the water from the river.


The little shop is like something from a bygone era, and was busy all the time I was there even with people not taking the tour. There was also a reporter and film crew from Scandinavia and an article on the wall from the New York Times, so the Moulin de la Tour must be much better known that I’d realised.

No comments:

Post a Comment