Sunday 28 June 2009

DORDOGNE - Les Jardins d’Eyrignac

When I pulled up outside the Jardins du Manoir d’Eyrignac, it looked just like a farm, so I wasn’t quite sure what to expect, but once I’d passed the Pavillion of Rest – a vast expanse of lawn – I found myself in a series of superb gardens, each arranged along a separate theme.



After the Vase Alley with its yew trees sculptured into a collection of vases lining a wide lawn, and the English Archways of walnut, I found myself in the courtyard of the old manor house. Just opposite is a tiny chapel just big enough for about 5-6 people. The house itself looks out over a boxwood design and the views from the first floor must have been stunning.



I wandered through the archway to the outbuildings and fishpond where there is a beautiful Paper Mulberry Tree, and then on past the nursery and washhouse to the Enchanted Terrace which looks back over the manor house.



Just beyond the Enchanted Terrace is the White Garden. For me this was one of the most beautiful parts of the gardens as it was a combination of floral and architectural plants surrounding a water fountain. This was also the busiest area with people making full use of the seating to simply sit and contemplate or admire the view.



From here I found myself back at the Pavilion of Rest, but this time approaching from a different direction, with a beautiful view of the pool and what I can only assume is a very decorative pool house! It was here that I bumped into yet someone else I used to work with – how bizarre.



It is a shame that you aren’t allowed to walk on most of the lawns because it means that you can only view some of the gardens at a distance rather than up close and personal, but I can understand the reasoning. There are also two botanical walks of 2.5km (about 45 minutes) and 4.5km (about 1h 15m) so that you can discover the surrounding area, but I’d already spotted a sign for the Château de Hautefort when I arrived, so it was time to press on.

No comments:

Post a Comment