Sunday 28 June 2009

LOT & DORDOGNE - Cahors

Marseille to Sarlat in one go is about 6 hours, so I knew I’d want to break my journey en-route. My first stop was for coffee and a croissant at about 10h30, and then I pushed on through to Cahors which had been recommended to me by Florence. At first sight, I wasn’t that impressed, but once I’d parked, I quickly realised that I’d skirted the edge of the town which was lovely.


Cahors is one of those places that really changes as soon as the sun shines, so it was a shame that the weather was a bit iffy – warm but cloudy spots. The main sights are well but discreetly marked, so I managed quite happily without a map. My first port of call was the Cathedral, which was beautiful, but unremarkable except for two things. The first was the cloister which was one of the most beautiful I have seen.


The second was the garden at the back of the cathedral where there is even a wicker nun to illustrate how the gardens would have been tended in times gone by. It was whilst reading the sign about the cathedral garden that I realised that it was actually just one of many gardens on show this weekend in and around the town.


I discovered a nice little tableau close by – I’m still not sure if the blue motorbike was part of the props or just someone inconsiderately parked!



One of the things I enjoyed most was just wandering through the streets which were full of people and interesting little boutiques. There was an indoor market for fruit, vegetables, artisanal bakers, butchers and cheese, and this is obviously a popular wine area as there were also ‘Maison des Vins’ everywhere.




By pure chance my visit coincided not only with the garden exhibition, but also with market day where you could find almost anything, and also a day of song and dance at one of the bars/cafés tucked away in a side street off the main square. The street was filled with balloons, people singing and families enjoying the show – what a treat!


I still had a way to go, so at 17h, I decided to press on. Little did I know that there was still more to see and do even in the car park!! I’d parked in the underground car park at the site of the old amphitheatre, which had joined in the garden celebration by decorating the exposed remains in the style of a Roman garden. From here my plan was to head straight to Sarlat, but when I saw the sign for the Pont Valentré, I couldn’t help myself, so ignoring the very insistent GPS lady, I headed out to the bridge.



The sun was in just the wrong position to get the shot I really wanted, but I managed to make do and get something I was happy with. The bridge itself is seriously impressive and it is worth taking the time to walk across. The views over the river are superb and I found myself imagining the sound of horses hooves racing over the cobbles.


My one regret is that nearly all my photos now feature other people also taking photos!

1 comment:

  1. Amazing bridge, reminds me of Avion, they just forgot to finish theirs when I was there. Hx

    ReplyDelete