Sunday 28 June 2009

DORDOGNE - Village du Bournat

Le Bournat is definitely one for all the family. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect as the leaflet sounded interesting, but the photos didn’t really give much of an idea of what this place is all about. I thought the entrance fee of 10€ was a bit steep, but once I got inside and realised how much there is to see and do, you could easily spend a whole day here.


The basic concept is that Le Bournat is set up as a village from the last century, so you have local artisans who come in – different ones each day – to practice their crafts in the traditional way and at the same time give demonstrations and the chance to buy if you wish.



I started off at the ‘potager’ where you can wander amongst the plants of the cottage gardens and see an interesting display of old watering cans. From here I bypassed the merry go round and children’s play area, heading for the workshops. The baker was in residence and the heat from the bread ovens was unbearable given the hot sunny day, so I quickly moved on, resisting the temptation to buy freshly made bread or giant tarts, both of which smelled delicious.


Just next to the baker was the fromagerie - cheese and butter - but except for the smelly live sheep and even smellier dead horse (stuffed), there was no craftsman in residence so I moved on. Outside was a collection of old carts and tractors, and sheds full of old style carriages which were fascinating, and a bloke making steel.



From here I could see the chapel which was like something off of little house on the prairie, but had a very strange atmosphere and I could really see myself here in times gone by.



Next on my route was the wood turner who was making spinning tops. It was incredible to see the skill involved in making such small things, but more amazing was the speed with which he carved it, burnt in a pattern and waxed it – all the space of about 3 minutes flat! He managed to give the demonstration in three languages so that everyone felt included, and also included a couple of interesting facts such as physiotherapists prescribing spinning tops to help people with arthritis or who need to increase the dexterity of their hands/fingers. He also said that apparently, if a spinning top is left on a table, 9 out of 10 passersby will spin it. I was itching to have a go myself!


From here I headed up to the windmill which was actually quite small when you get near. The banks in front were covered with lavender and green and yellow flowers so it was a really pretty scene. You can go up into the windmill and the miller was there to explain, but there were quite a few people around so I didn’t fancy squeezing in amongst them!


From here I found myself heading back to the main ‘square’ where I found a beekeeper, wood sculptor, handmade beer producer, a little house with bedroom decorated in the style of old, and a lace maker. A real gem tucked in amongst the carriages and machinery was what looked like an old flying machine. I can’t imagine it getting very far even in the red bull challenge!!


I meandered back and forth a bit more and saw the hay cart, an old fashioned trout fishing post, the post office which looked like something from the old west and a confiturier (jam maker) which was next door to a crêpe shop which I’m sure was no coincidence. They smelt delicious but too sugary for me so on I went.



The end of the visit (for me anyway) was the school where there were a few sand sculptures and the fun fair which included the tiniest Ferris wheel I have ever seen, old fashioned ‘ball-through-hole-to-win-a-prize’ type games, another merry-go-round and even so ancient hydraulic aeroplane rides. There were even some pedal cars that were really cute and reminded me of the real vintage cars I’ve seen recently in Corsica


Of course the gift shop sells all the things produced on site and much, much more, but be prepared to pay a bit extra for the handmade stuff. All in all, a fantastic day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment