Sunday 28 June 2009

DORDOGNE - St. Crépin

Vieux St. Crépin was another recommendation from my host David, and I’d been meaning to visit for the last few days but just never seemed to get there, so today was the day! Having turned out of the main village of St. Crépin, the old town is only about 200-300m further, but could be separated by about 200-300 years.


I parked down by the church and cluster of small higgledy-piggledy houses which were bathed in early evening sun which really brought out their ochre colour. Just next to the church is the cemetery and I was amazed to see some of the gravestones inside little greenhouses. I’d noticed this before in the Dordogne, and I assume it is to protect them from the elements, but it is just so bizarre.


Just a little way back up the hill is the Chateau Lacypierre, which is a beautiful old stately home type manor surrounded by flowers. It was too late for a visit this evening, but a sign outside said that the mistress of the house would be giving a guided tour the next day at 3pm, so I might be tempted to come back…

No comments:

Post a Comment